Stress is usually uncomfortable, ill-timed and overwhelming. To better understand my relationship with stress, I reached for two of my staples:
An art project and a therapeutic worksheet!
Meet Stress, the frazzled creature that helps us survive and also brings us to our knees. A powerful little fella!
With the structure of a worksheet, I asked this buzzing thing made of short breaths and sweaty palms a pretty forward question:
What do you want?!
And Stress answered, a bit exasperated and desperate:
To work in tandem with you, you crazy human!
So a dialogue began and in this video I walk you through the worksheet. Each crazy human is unique and how they relate to stress varies! Have a listen and if you’re interested, the questions from the worksheet can be found just below the video!
Therapeutic Worksheet for Managing Stress
1. How can stress be helpful?
2. How can stress be harmful?
3. Identify/list your stressors/triggers (i.e. change in routine, loud places, family interactions…)
4. Identify/list your strengths and past experiences of positively responding to stress (i.e. I’m a creative problem solver and when something unexpected occurs I try to meet it with open-mindedness and curiousity)
5. Identify/list things about yourself (in relation to stress) you would like to change (i.e. I don’t want money and how best to manage it to intimidate me. So I should take a class or seek guidance on the subject and put into practice new spending habits. )
6. Ask yourself: What am I like when I am feeling well? What do I feel? What characteristics of my personality stand out? How do I spend my day? (i.e. When I am well I feel inspired and content and my quirkiness shows and I enjoy the pace of the day).
7. Stress strikes unexpectedly. Having a daily maintenance plan for your physical, mental and emotional health can help you take the blow in stride. List activities you can practice daily (i.e. take meds & vitamins, get outside, dress with personal purpose…)
8. List what activities you can do on occassion to maintain wellness (i.e. Read a piece of spiritual literature, start a new hobby, go to the beach/mountains once a month…)
With love & a deep breath,
With love & a wee bit of horror,
Thank you for following me through this silly (and transformative) journey!
What’s next? More writing! And more talking! Except I’d like to talk WITH you vs. just AT you! Dare I say…a podcast? Whoa, whoa…I admire your excitement; however, let’s take it a step at a time!
Let’s get lingual: Butterfly Edition
A Song for You:
“Video” by India Arie
With love & far-far wings,
I want to create something special for you! Yeah, you! See below the video for the details.
Want to help a sista out AND receive a gift in the process?
I need to build up my jar-resume. I’ll explain…it doesn’t matter! Ramblings later! What matters is: If you leave a comment or send me a message (email@example.com) I will make a unique quote jar just for you!
If you want something specific on your jar, like a cute llama or you really dig polka dots, just let me know. Otherwise I will get down with some artistic license.
What kind of quote are you hoping to pick each day? Are you all about affirmations? Or are you into those tough love one-liners? Maybe you are soooo over quotes and would prefer to learn a new word everyday or a joke or an animal fact! In full honesty…this is the most enjoyable part of the process for me!
I look forward to creating something special for you!
With love and gratitude,
With love & a decent helping of cheeseball,
⛰️ Need a break? Stare into your nearest koi pond.
They move softly, just below the water’s surface. Their bodies big and scales vibrant. They belong in children’s stories…enchanting and of another world.
⛰️ Here’s a little music for your soul:
⛰️ Word of the day:
(v.) running your fingers through your lover’s hair.
With love and fire phoenix red,